May 17th, 2017
Don't let braces slow down your summer fun!
If you are wearing braces and are planning a vacation, our team at McKinney Orthodontics would suggest that you be prepared. We put together a list of items that will be handy to have with you at all times while you are out of town.
Braces/Oral Hygiene Kit includes:
- Toothpick, flosspick, or interdental cleaners
- Travel toothbrush
- A water bottle or a mini bottle of mouth rinse
- Orthodontic wax to help with discomfort from protruding wires
- A small mirror for examining any possible issues in your mouth
Putting these items together in a "braces/oral hygiene kit" may be wise. You can even call us and we can get you one! Please ask us for more information.
We suggest avoiding the following foods to prevent broken brackets and/or wire distortion while you are on vacation.
- Chewy, sticky, or gummy food
- Apples, pears, or other whole fruits (cut fruit into wedges before consuming)
- Bagels and hard rolls
- Corn on the cob
- Hard candies
- Hard cookies or pretzels
- All varieties of nuts, including peanuts, almonds, and cashews
Finally, if you are wearing Invisalign and happen to lose your tray, don't worry! Simply put in your next tray and contact us as soon as you get home!
Follow these tips and you can have a worry-free vacation! Please give us a call if you have any questions, and enjoy that summer sun!!
April 13th, 2017
With Easter coming up, you, your child, or teen might be daydreaming about all those delicious treats hidden in colorful eggs. If you have braces, you might want to think twice before you sink your teeth into something sweet.
Since braces are attached to teeth with cement, it's very easy to break, bend or loosen them. Hard, sweet and sticky foods are the worst when it comes to damaging braces, so some candy should obviously be avoided. But if you know what you can eat and what you should avoid, it will go a long way toward protecting your teeth and braces.
Of course, you could always opt for invisalign for yourself or your teen.
What You Can Eat
When it comes to foods you can eat with braces, focus on two words: soft and healthy. With a little creativity, you can still splurge during Easter without eating anything that's hard or sticky. Here are a few examples of what you can eat during Easter (or any other time while wearing braces):
- Marshmallows: Peeps are an Easter classic!
- Soft chocolate: Just make sure there aren't any nuts or a hard shell (3 Musketeers & Reese’s are good examples).
- Sugar-Free gum: Safe!
- Ice cream: Enjoy them in classic Easter colors like pink or blue.
- Cakes: The perfect canvas for Easter-themed indulgence.
- Eggs: Decorate the outside, then enjoy the soft center!
Coming up with ideas for candy with braces can be half the fun, so use your imagination and indulge.
What You Should Avoid
As mentioned before, braces and candy are a bad mix. Obviously, avoid hard, sticky candy and focus on items like the ones mentioned above. Here are some specific examples of bad ortho Easter candy:
- Nuts: PayDay, Snickers, etc.
- Sticky Caramel: Caramel Apples, Werther's, etc.
- Hard Candy: Jawbreakers, Spree, Gobstoppers, etc.
- Sugar Gum: bubblegum, fruit flavored, etc.
- Sticky Candy: Starbursts, Gummy Bears, etc.
Click here to learn more about living with braces!
If you'd like more information on ortho candy or other ortho topics, schedule a consultation with our orthodontist!
March 30th, 2017
Thank you for visiting our blog! We are currently working on updating things around here! Please check back soon!